Hi everyone. I wrote most of this entry on a plane today, as it was almost the first free time I’ve had “away from the workbench” since the initial proof of concept loggers were deployed last year. I have redesigned the Cave Pearl data loggers into a more modular platform that should be flexible enough for quick field repairs, while enabling future development with more sensors. (I want at least CTD, and my wife has an infinte supply of other suggestions 🙂
The loggers are now assembled in four interchangeable components, which from top to bottom are:
1) Upper housing
Lots of lessons have been learned here about sealing the hull penetrations thanks to the diy ROV crew. Sort lengths of 3/4 pipe form “wells” to protect the sensors, with JB Plastic Weld putty wrapped around the wires as they initially pass through from the inside of the housing. The putty sets on the roughened surface, pluging the hole and holding the sensors in position, but I found that the silicones I tested flex quite a bit after curing, so they are too easily “sheared” away from the pvc surface. As a result, the current builds use JB weld around the DS18B20 thermal sensors, and Loctite E-30CL to for a transparent seal over the “heartbeat” LEDs which pip when the samples are taken. Experience has shown me that you must have some way of knowing your units are working happily (or if they are in an error state…) before you dive them into the cave.
2) Main electronics platform
I am still quite happy with Tinyduino, as the package integrates the mcu, accelerometer, and now digital compass, with the smallest footprint and the least amount of extraneous wiring. I put riser pins on their new overhanging protoboard, and this jumps out to a grove I2C hub as a central interconnect system allowing me to interchange the logger platform with housings that will sport different sensors in future. All of the electronic components have had a good bath of conformal coating this time around, so hopefully they will be a bit more robust. (I might try Rustoleums Neverwet next time)
3) Power supply
Physically it’s just two pvc knockout caps held together with four bolts & a 1cm “hold down ring” to keep it in place in the lower housing. Electronically there are two versions. The first is an unregulated supply uses two banks of 3 AA batteries, through Shottky diodes to prevent the banks from draining unequally. This supply will drop from 4.5 volts down to a lower cutoff of 2.8 volts before the system stops logging, so it needs fairly robust sensors. The second power supply uses three banks of 2 AA batteries (with three Shottky’s) feeding into an NCP1402 3.3 volt boost regulator which then powers the logger. Several of the sensors I want to use have a strict 1.8-3.3v input range, so they can not be used with an unregulated system. It will be interesting to see if the greater “draw-down” enabled by a boost regulator compensates for the power it wastes (here about 25%). This deployment will hopefully be some months long, so I will find out how the regulated VS unregulated systems actually perform.
4) Lower housing & external weight system
The buoyancy troubles we had on the initial deployment showed me that I needed some form of external system to compensate for changes in battery mass, cable buoyancy, salinity, etc. So I have a simple solution using a bolt through a threaded end cap which holds a number of washers as ballast. All stainless steel, but I am curious to see how long they actually last in the near marine environment. The buoyancy mass will be spit evenly on the top & bottom of the units to prevent rotational torques which which would affect the angle readings.
So this is the new fleet: Four pendulum units and one high resolution temperature & pressure sensor that will remain stationary. Hopefully they will all be underwater logging in a few days. Looking back at the build journal, I should add that there has also been a fair bit of coding, but I will post details on all that later, after I have integrated support for the HMC5883L digital compass & MS5803 pressure sensors into the main logger script.
BUT before we deploy these new units, we need to go and retrieve Beta’s 1&2 which we left in a cave last December. My fingers are crossed that they have survived these last few months under water…
For the DIYers out there, I should mention that this housing style proved quite robust through several deployments in 2014, and probably could go to substantial depth due to the thickness of the 3″ end caps. But in early 2015 I came up with a new design built with Formufit table caps, which is much easier to assemble provided you can squeeze your electronics package into 2″ pipe.